Quaker State's origins may be traced to the founding of Oil City in Pennsylvania, in the 19th century. The petroleum industry of the city brought prosperity, increasing its population from 12 families in 1860 to 6,000 five years later. The name "Quaker State" was adopted in 1912 when T.G. Phinny (owner of the Phinny Brothers Oil Company) used it to distinguish his products from competitors. One of the first goals of the company was to provide lubricants for Franklin Automotive Company of Syrcause, NY., signing a contract to become exclusive oil provider for the company.
By 1915, Quaker State advertised in The Saturday Evening Post becoming a known brand in the U.S